Clare Louise Hawkins
BSc(Hons) Chemistry, University of York, UK (1993)
PhD Chemistry, University of York, UK (1997)
- 2015 – 2016 Scientific Director, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
- 2007 – 2016 Group Leader, Inflammation Group, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
- 2011 – 2016 Principal Research Fellow, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney
- 2014 – 2015 Acting Scientific Director, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
- 2000 – 2007 Senior Research Fellow, Free Radical Group, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
- 2004 – 2010 Senior Research Fellow, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney
- 2001 – 2004 Honorary Academic Research Fellow, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney
- 1997 – 2000 Postdoctoral Research Officer, Free Radical Group, Heart Research Institute, Sydney
1998 Chartered Chemist, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK
2017 Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, UK
Fellowships and Awards:
- 2018: Lifetime Achievement Award and Lecture, Society for Free Radical Research (Australasia).
- 2018: Leopold Flohe Redox Pioneer Award and Lecture, Society for Free Radical Research (Europe).
- 2016: Blackmore’s Mentor of the Year Award, HRI.
- 2013-16: Australian Research Council Future Fellowship.
- 2009-12: Career Development Fellowship, National Heart Foundation, Australia.
- 2003-8: R. Douglas Wright Biomedical Fellowship, National Health and Medical Research Council, Australia.
From 2021 Secretary-General, Society for Free Radical Research (Europe)
2019 – 2020 Council Member, Society for Free Radical Research (Europe)
2013 – 2014 President of the Society for Free Radical Research (Australasia)
2010 – 2012 President-Elect of the Society for Free Radical Research (Australasia)
2004 – 2007 Secretary of the Society for Free Radical Research (Australasia)
Editorial Board Positions
Associate Editor, Biochemistry Society Transactions
Editorial Boards of Redox Biochemistry and Chemistry, Chemical Research in Toxicology, BioFactors, Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, and Redox Report
Postgraduate Research Coordination
2009 – 2015 Sub-Dean for Postgraduate Research, Sydney Medical School, University of Sydney
2012 – 2016 Deputy Associate Dean (Postgraduate Research) / Deputy Chair, Research Sub-Committee of the Combined Board of Postgraduate Studies (Dentistry, Medicine and Pharmacy), University of Sydney
4 book chapters and 120 peer-reviewed journal articles (100 original research papers and 20 invited review articles/commentaries), in high-quality, journals, which have attracted > 7000 citations, contributing to an H-index of 46 (Scopus) or 54 (from Google Scholar). Co-chief Editor of “Mammalian Peroxidases in Health and Disease” with W.M. Nauseef, CRC Press, Informa, Boca Raton, 2021.
In last 10 years > 30 invited lectures at international meetings (in Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Italy, Portugal, USA, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Greece, UK) and online webinars / virtual conferences. Chair (main organiser) of the Gordon Conference on Oxygen Radicals (to be held in 2026, Ventura, USA) and Discussion Leader of this conference in 2018, 2020 and 2024. Organising Committees / Scientific Advisory Panels for 12 international conferences, Symposium Organiser for 4 international meetings. Active collaborations with other scientists within UCPH and other research institutions and disciplines, nationally and internationally.
Supervision and mentoring
Experienced research supervisor of BSc, MSc, PhD students and Postdocs, guiding more than 30 PhD students to successful completion. Mentor for Postdocs and Assistant Professors within the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at UCPH and internationally with Royal Society of Chemistry, UK, and Society for Free Radical Research (Europe). Departmental supervisor for Assistant Professors completing the UCPH pedagogical teaching course. Previously, a mentor for women in science, University of Sydney.