19 September 2022

Four new BRIDGE postdoc grants at BMI


The Department of Biomedical Sciences receives four new postdoctoral grants under the BRIDGE programme. This year, a total of fourteen 2-year postdoctoral grants have been awarded under the BRIDGE programme, which is financed by the Novo Nordisk Foundation.

On 1 September, four new BRIDGE fellows started at BMI. Each fellow is assigned two to three mentors, who represent respectively basic biomedical research, clinic and/or the life science industry, allowing them to combine methods and gain insights from different parts of translational research.

In 2019, SUND launched BRIDGE – Translational Excellence Programme with funding from the Novo Nordisk Foundation. In the first three distribution rounds, BMI received a total of 10 BRIDGE postdoctoral grants. In 2022, fourteen 2-year grants have been awarded to postdocs. Together with their mentors, they must explore synergies between basic research, clinical practice and the life science industry, thus helping to bridge the translational gap.

This year, BMI has received four grants, which means that the Department has received just under a third of the total number of grants. The four grant recipients from BMI are:

Christian Berg

Pharmacokinetics and -dynamics of a novel drug candidate for ex vivo elimination of latent cytomegalovirus in lung transplants.

Maria Ebbesen Sørum

Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist for prevention of toxicity in haematopoietic stem cell transplantation.

Muhammad Sabbah

Validation of Novel Invasive Cardiovascular Catheter System for Diagnosing and Quantifying Coronary Microvascular Disease.

Carolin Sailer

Molecular phenotyping of arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy by single cell proteomics.

A BRIDGE postdoc lasts 2 years and 20% of the time is spent on educational activities together with the other BRIDGE postdocs. The other 80% of the time is used for the actual research project within translational medicine.

See all 14 recipients of a BRIDGE postdoctoral grant in 2022

Read about the upcoming announcement for BRIDGE postdoc grants here