Blegdamsvej 3, 2200 København N.
Professor Mandrup-Poulsen is a physician scientist, board certified in internal medicine and endocrinology, who serves as Professor of Medical Research Methodology at the University of Copenhagen and adjunct professor in Immuno-diabetology at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm. His research focuses on understanding inflammatory and oxidative beta-cell death leading to diabetes, and his discovery that proinflammatory cytokines cause beta-cell functional failure and destruction qualified him for the 1994 Oskar Minkowski prize of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. He has been leading PI or co-PI of EU and JDRF (USA) grants, three international multicenter clinical studies and had leadership roles in the data safety monitoring board/advisory boards in two international multicenter clinical studies. His group currently consists of 10 academics.
- MD, University of Copenhagen (1980); DMSc, University of Copenhagen (1988)
- 2007 - Professor in Medical Research Methodology, University of Copenhagen
- 2000 - 2006 and 2009 - Adjunct Professor in Immunodiabetology, Dept. of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
- 2009 -2011 Research chief physician, Hagedorn Research Institute
- 1995 -2008 Chief Physician, Steno Diabetes Center
- 1997-2000 Medical Director, Steno Diabetes Center
Scientific journals, societies, awards etc.
- Associate Editor and Advisory Board member of Diabetologia (1995-2001)
- Danish Society for Internal Medicine (Board Member), 1992-1997, President 1995-97
- Danish Study Group for Diabetes in Childhood, Member of Executive Board (1995-2001)
- Member of the executive board of the Scandinavian Society for the Study of Diabetes (1994-1998), President 1998
- Co-founder of the Øresund Diabetes Academy, 2003-2009, President 2007-2009
- Oskar Minkowski Award of the European Association of Diabetes (1994)
- Knud Lundbæk Award of the Scandinavian Society for the Study of Diabetes (2001)
- Member of the Executive Board, the Interleukin Foundation, USA (2010-)
Membership of major university committees, research councils, etc.
- Danish Diabetes Association, Medical Research Fund Council (1995–2002)
- JDRF Medical Science Review Board, NY, USA, (2001-2004, 2005-2008 and ad hoc member 2010-),
- Mary Jane Kugel Award of the JDRF (2004); EASD Minkowski Prize Committee (2002-2004)
- Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale (INSERM), Member of the Scientific Advisory Board (2004-2009)
- Programme National de Recherches sur le Diabete en France (PNRD), grant reviewer (2003-2005)
- Member of the EASD Standardization Committee, Chairman (2005-2007)
Current research support
- EU7FP, JDRF USA, Novo Nordisk Foundation, Danish Research Agency.
MD, DMSc, specialist in internal medicine and endocrinology