Thorkil Ploug’s main research focus is ”Biomarker discovery and clinical implementation within the area of personalized medicine and prevention”. Current activities are in 5 key fields:
- Metabolic regulation (exercise, obesity, NAFLD/NASH and diabetes)
- Ischemic and diabetic cardiovascular diseases
- Inflammation and autoimmunity
- Degenerative conditions (dementia, osteoarthritis and ageing)
- Cancer (prostate and breast)
Thorkil Ploug is a member of the management committee for the European Union’s COST action CliniMARK: ‘Good biomarker practice to increase the number of clinically validated biomarkers’. He also serves as Director of Studies for the Master of Science programme “Human Biology”.